Texanglican

"The Preachers chiefly shall take heed that they teach nothing in their preaching, which they would have the people religiously to observe and believe, but that which is agreeable to the Doctrine of the Old Testament and the New, and that which the Catholick Fathers and Ancient Bishops have gathered out of that Doctrine." A proposed canon of Elizabeth I, 1571

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedford, Texas, United States

I am a presbyter in the diocese of Fort Worth, Texas (Anglican Church in North America). I serve as Chaplain at St. Vincent's School and as a canon of St. Vincent's Cathedral Church in Bedford, Texas. In addition to my parish duties and teaching Religion classes in the school I am also the Middle School Social Studies teacher.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

More Details on the Clown Eucharist at Trinity Wall Street


The bulletin for the clown Eucharist at Trinity Episcopal Church, Wall Street, NYC, is available here. Have a look. No creed was said (on TRINITY SUNDAY!), but there was open communion for non-Christians. Lovely pictures.

You can WATCH the entire thing here! The service had no spoken words until the closing hymn--it was MIMED, including the lessons, the sermon, and the EUCHARISTIC PRAYER. The circus music needs to be heard to be appreciated, pariticularly in a Gothic church. The thurifer blew bubbles instead of offering incense. The congregation had noise makers. Lord, have mercy.

Thanks to Fr. Chris Cantrell at www.apostolicity.blogspot.com for calling attention to the bulletin on his fine blog. Ron Turner clued me in on the video feed. Thank you, gentlemen.
Posted by Hello

7 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

This makes me cry. Litterally I am crying...

~The Common Anglican

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I actually found it really boring... much more boring than a usual Eucharist.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought things like this only happens with in the Catholic church. hmmm thanks for sheding some light

6:39 AM  
Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Although there may be a fair amount of silliness and poor aesthetic sensibility present in the worship life of some Roman Catholic parishes, Mimi,I assure you that few (if any) RC parishes can compete with the folly of the "looney left" ECUSA folks!

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will be surprised there are still pockets around the world but they are not so vocal...

2:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rnady, I have to admit that this makes the fiasco of liturgical dance/slide presentation at the Easter vigil at the UT Neumann Center many years ago look downright tame.

I guess three is a reason Mike and I attend a Methodist church with the motto "Traditional Worship for Contemporary People."

-Becky Jo

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I find myself in agreement with most of the commentary abou the "Clown Eucharist", I am seeing another disturbing trend that leads me to ask the question: How far can one push the envelope?

Traditional Anglican liturgy and music are artistic and faithful works of beauty. Unfortunately, they are done with such a lack of passion and/or explanation ("deconstructed" perhaps), that to the non-churche, we are speaking in a very dull (boring?) code.

While I would certainly NOT condone the extremes of what was done at Trinity/Wall Street, I have found a great deal of resistance to the inclusion of artistic elements, alternative music forms and even elements of passion into the scripture and liturgy readings. It's as if there is a liturgical and/or musical "snobbery" that allows no room for expression that just might create space for the non-churched and yet still be orthodox and theologically sound.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats